Modern-day Be·er Sheba is the only city that the Ottomans established in the 400 some years that they ruled this area. They lost control of it in October 1917 in the last cavalry battle ever fought which they lost to the ANZAC troops of the British Empire. Remains of buildings from this period can be seen in the Old City located in the south of the city.
The Old Town was planned by Turkish and German engineers at the end of the 19th century. Its streets form a grid (very uncommon in the region) pattern which can still be seen today in Beershebas Old City. The Ottoman City is known as ´the 20 meter streetµ due to its unusual width and similarity to a European boulevard. At the end of the road is the Saraya the Ottoman administrative headquarters.
Saraya ² government house then police station now.
The arches and the pilasters are characteristic to the European building style. The building is symmetrical - this is the central part . ( the whole building can be partially seen in the previous slide)
Governors House . The house was built in 1906 by the Ottoman government. It has two floors. The first was the governors reception hall and the second floor contained his living quarters. Each floor had a separate entrance. Today it is part of the Negev Museum along with a former mosque. A new wing ² made of glass ² was added to the old building ² an interesting combination between old and modern. Notice the portico - the porch that is leading to the entrance of the building extended as a colonnade with a roof over the walkway supported by columns. This kind of design is perfect for the climate in Beer Sheva.
Characteristic to oriental building
These arches are characteristic to Oriental building
The mosque was probably designed by a German architect in an oriental style. It was built in 1906 and is thought to be one of the most attractive in Israel. Surrounding the central dome and minaret the walls of the mosque are filled with many windows to give a feeling of openness and infinity. It is under restoration so we couldn·t visit it inside.
Restored in 2003 by Peretz Luzon
Oriental ² Muslim style
This wall was decorated during the restoration.
The park now called Gan Allenby was one of the first public parks in the region. The Turks planted it in 1906 and held public assemblies and ceremonies there. In 1915 the park was restored as a formal Islamic garden: 4 paths leading to a central column celebrating the victories of the Ottoman Empire. After the British conquest which put an end to four centuries of Turkish rule a bust of General Allenby was mounted on this column but it was torn down. The bust has been recently put back. The simple inscription reads: ´Allenby 1917-1918.µ
The Bedouin school was built in 1906 by the Turks for the sheikhs· children . Now it is under reconstruction. When work is finished this building will be the Science Museum of the Negev.
Wikipedia http://www.eshetincoming.com http://www.virtualtourist.com Lecture My photos